Saturday, October 16, 2010

A Blog? What??

The blog.  And why would I want to write one.  I am, of course, brilliant, witty, and a pretty big deal, so why wouldn't the world want to hear what I have to say?  Right?  Okay, I agree - not so much.  As the title of this blog indicates, life for me can be classified as deadly dull and boring, at least in the vernacular of my Mom, whose life, I might add, can be classified as deadly dull and boring, too.

So why the blog?  There are thousands, millions of bloggers in the world, all writing about things more interesting (...or not) and more important (...or not) than the types of things I would have to offer.  I don't know any of these bloggers, and I don't read the things they have to share with the world, so why the attraction?  I have exactly three bloggers whom I follow with anything that could be considered continued interest, and one of those was a short-lived enterprise meant to document and share a cruise around the world.  So that leaves two generally long-lived endeavors that excite me enough to read.  One is written by someone I worked with closely for a couple of years, who made the life-changing and profound decision to simplify life and move abroad for awhile, and her blog is essentially the diary of that experience.  The other is written by someone whom I don't know well, but admire greatly, and her blog represents the various musings that hit her at different times of life.  Both of these blogs are inspiring to me, because they document the existence of greatness in every day life.  As the reader, it almost seems that these two leave themselves open for excitement in the mundane, seeing things through different colored lenses than the rest of us.  Pretty cool stuff, if you have the presence and awareness to catch them when they flit in front of you for the briefest period of time.  No deadly dull and boring there, I assure you.

So this is my challenge to myself, to be more aware of the great things I am convinced I overlook each and every day.  And to write about them publicly is my way of holding myself accountable to that challenge.  You may choose to read, or not, but if you do I hope you begin to open up and start seeing the things that are going on right in front of you, too.  As for the two ladies who inspired this in me?  I don't need to name names, they know who they are.  I hope, also, that they know how grateful I am for them and how profoundly their stories impacted me.  I hope to be honored enough to do the same for someone else one day.

1 comment:

  1. Love it, Kim... I have a couple of blogs myself, but I'm definitely not a true "blogger", I go a long time w/out posting, but I'm trying to get more into it also... I'm looking forward to your posts. So glad we've connected after all these years.

    ReplyDelete