Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Wonderfully Adventurous and Fun!

Well maybe.  Certainly not the same ol' same ol', that's for sure!

Took a few vacation days last week, and in an effort to satiate my enormous hunger for fall color, the maternal, offspring, and canine units and I packed into the Cruiser and headed for a drive up north.  We logged approximately 10 hours and a little over 500 miles driving through the great state of Arizona in search of the elusive RED TREE!  You see, the red trees are my favorite of all the fall colors, so vibrant and more beautiful than any other.  Lots of trees turn red in the fall: oaks, maples, sourwood, some ash trees.  I'm not an arborist, I'm sure there are others; regardless, there aren't a whole lot of them in Arizona.


 The lone maple tree between Phoenix and Greer


One of the things I miss more than any other about my young years living in the Midwest is the change of seasons, particularly the change from summer to fall.  There is something magical to me about watching the green lushness of summer, monotonous as it is, transform into a cacophony of color every October.  Those of you who come from other places know exactly what I'm talking about, and I can bet that each of you miss it, too.  To be frank, it makes my heart hurt.


One tree: lush green to blazing red



An 18th floor view: Cincinnati, Ohio


Even though we didn't find a lot of red leaves on our drive, we had a great time.  We girls always have a great time hanging out together, and I have an adventurous streak that loves to see places I've never seen before.  We saw rain, snow, sunshine, a little red, a little orange, and a lot of yellow.  Boring as yellow is, it sure was a striking thing to behold. 

It's almost too bad we left most of the red trees back in Ohio :) 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment